TitleLangley Marish, Buckinghamshire.
Date1337-1909
Extent51 items
Related MaterialSee also Wraysbury, Buckinghamshire.
AdminBiogHistoryChapel of Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire , in the diocese of Oxford.

The advowson of the church of Wraysbury with the chapel of Langley Marish were alienated in mortmain by Edward III to the College of St George in 1348. They appear in the patent foundation of SGC dated 6 August 1348 as the original endowment of SGC, given by the king. (Along with South Tawnton and Uttoxeter). The advowson of Wraysbury with the chapel of Langley Marish was obtained by the king from the convent of St Peter in Gloucester.

The chapelry at Langley was farmed independently of the church of Wraysbury and was worth from £26 13s 4d to £33 6s 8d a year, besides a rent of 9s / year paid by the priory of Ankerwyke for farming the tithe of an assart called Prestwick in their manor of Alderbourne, which fell within the chapelry of Langley. A series of leases from 1377 - 1415 has been preserved. The groups of men who farmed Langley in these years always included a chaplain, (Geoffrey Whitemarsh, Thomas Goldhop, Richard Franklin vicar of Iver, John Smart vicar of Wraysbury).

Today, ( 2008 ), Langley Marish chapel is in the gift of a patronage board comprising the bishop of Oxford, team vicars, the Langley PCC, and the D & C.

[A. Roberts]
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019