TitleLondon, City of.
Date1362-1896
Extent176 items
Related MaterialSee also St Anthony's Hospital, London
AdminBiogHistoryThe Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) owned a number of tenements in the City of London, including those described below.

Blossom's Inn was given to the D & C by the Crown in 1547, as part of the New Dotation. The inn, which was situated within the parish of St Lawrence Jewry, was eventually sold to the Great Eastern Railway Company, together with other properties, in the 1850s or 1860s.

On 7 June 1423, Thomas Beaufort, Duke of Exeter, gave a tenement to the D & C. This was situated in Thames Street near to Broken Wharf, within the parish of St Mary Somerset. The tenement was surrendered to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1872.

In 1580, the D & C leased 'the keye ground' between Thames Street and Wynninge Lane to William Gibson, citizen and carpenter, who subsequently built four tenements on the site.

The D & C owned seven messuages in Watling Street, which were granted to them under licence by Sir Thomas St Leger on 30 March 1481. These included 7 Watling Street, formerly known as The Golden Key. Described as a tenement and warehouse, this property passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners c. 1872. Other messuages in Watling Street included a tenement in the parish of St Augustine by the gate of St Paul's, and three tenements next to Watling Street and Distaff Lane ( alias Maidenhead Street ).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019