TitleOlney, Buckinghamshire.
Date15th century
Extent3 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Peter and St Paul, Olney, Buckinghamshire.

Olney church is first mentioned in the 13th century, when the advowson was held by the lords of the vill. It followed the descent of the manor until 2 March 1482, when Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and Anne his wife were granted licence to convey the rectory to the Dean and Canons of Windsor in exchange for the rectory of Simonburn, Northumberland. However, the conveyance appears to have been ineffectual and in the reign of Henry VII the Dean and Canons were forced to petition the King for restitution of the advowson of Olney, then valued at 100 marks a year [SGC XI.K.2].

The advowson passed into the Crown's possession early in 1487-8, then in 1502, it was granted by Henry VII to the abbey of Syon. The living passed through a number of patrons, eventually devolving upon the earls of Dartmouth in the 18th century.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019