TitlePlympton St Mary, Devon.
Date1548-1911
Extent64 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of Plympton St Mary, Plymouth, Devon, in the diocese of Exeter.

The church of Plympton St Mary dates from the early 14th century, when it was part of Plympton Priory, one of the leading monastic houses of South West England.

The rectory was given to the Dean and Canons of Windsor by the Crown in 1547, as part of the New Dotation. All Saints Church, Sparkwell, Devon, was built in 1859 as a 'Chapel-of-ease' to the mother church of Plympton Saint Mary. In 1884, presumably in response to an increase in the local population, Sparkwell was created a separate parish by Order in Council of 15 August 1884 as part of the Anglican Diocese of Exeter. Meanwhile, the right of nomination to All Saints, Sparkwell, was transferred from the incumbent of Plympton Saint Mary to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.

The advowson was exchanged for the rectory of Horrabridge, Devon, on 13 December 1921.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019