TitleSandleford, Berkshire.
Date1160-1896
Extent898 items
AdminBiogHistorySandleford was a priory of Austin canons, founded between 1193 and 1202 by Geoffrey, 4th count of Perch, and Matilda his wife. A confirmation charter from Archbishop Stephen indicates the priory was dedicated to St John the Baptist and endowed with all the lands of Sandleford.

The appropriation of the priory to the Dean and Canons of Windsor (D & C) was mainly owing to Bishop Beauchamp of Salisbury, who was dean of Windsor from 1478 to 1481. By this time it appears the religious had forsaken the priory. On 9 March 1478, Sir Richard Beauchamp, son and heir of Sir William Beauchamp, lord of St Amand, [nephew to Bishop Beauchamp] surrendered to the Dean and Canons of Windsor (D & C), all the lands, tenements, manors etc in Berkshire, formerly belonging to the Prior and Convent of St John the Baptist, Sandleford. The priory had been richly endowed with properties over a number of years and those which came into the possession of the D & C included the following:

Lands in Bramley, Chiddingfold, and Hambledon, Surrey
The manor of East Enborne, Berkshire
Lands in Freefolk, Whitchurch, Hampshire
Lands in Kingsclere, Hampshire
Lands in Newbury, Berkshire
Lands in Newtown, Hampshire
Lands in Pamber, Hampshire
The manor of Roke, Odiham, Hampshire
The rectory of West Ilsley, Berkshire

VCH Berks, II ( 1907 ), pp 86-8
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019