TitleSwinford, Worcestershire.
Date1469-1482
Extent3 items
AdminBiogHistoryIn the time of Edward the Confessor, the manor of Old Swinford was held by Wulfwine, but by 1086, William Fitz Ansculf was in possession. The overlordship then followed the descent of the manor of Dudley until 1320 when John de Somery acquired the manor in fee. The manor then followed the same descent as Northfield. In the early 15th century, one third of both manors belonged to Maurice Berkeley and the remaining two thirds to James, earl of Wiltshire. Ownership disputes followed, and as a result, it was decided the earl of Wiltshire should have Old Swinford and pay 40 shillings per annum to Maurice Berkeley.

During the 15th century, the manor descended with Hagley until the death of Fulk Stafford c. 1462, after which Margaret, widow of Fulk, was given one-third of the manor as her dower. On 22 January 1463, the remaining two-thirds plus the reversion of Margaret's share was granted to Sir John Scott and confirmed to him in 1476. Sir John Scott is believed to have held two-thirds of Old Swinford until 1481.

On 21 November 1481, Edward IV granted two parts of the manors of Old Swynford and Gannow and the revenues of the third part of the same manors to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ). On 14 November 1482, Edward IV also granted licence to the D & C to hold view of frank pledge and assizes of bread, wine and ale twice a year in the manor of Old Swinford and Storebrige ( Stourbridge ).

VCH Worcs, III ( 1913 ), pp 213-223
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019