TitleTidcombe, Wiltshire.
Date1557-1916
Extent49 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of Tidcombe, Wiltshire, in the diocese of Salisbury.

The advowson of Tidcombe rectory belonged to Henry Hussey ( died c. 1260 ) and descended with the manor of Tidcombe to his son, Sir Hubert Hussey ( died by 1275 ). Between c.1275 and 1335, the advowson was the subject of complex disputes, involving the Sturmy family and the Crown. By 1374, the advowson had been acquired by Henry Sturmy ( d. 1381 ), from whom it passed to Sir William Sturmy. In 1390, Sir William granted the advowson to Easton priory. At the Dissolution, the patronage passed, together with the rectory estate, to Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset.

In 1547, the rectory of Tidcombe was granted by the Crown to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) as part of the New Dotation.

In 1926, the patronage of Fosbury, Wiltshire, was given to the D & C, who became the sole patron of the united benefice of Tidcombe with Fosbury. In 1979, a new benefice of Wexcombe was created, comprising Shalbourne, Ham, Chute with Chute Forest, Tidcombe and Fosbury, Burbage, East Grafton, Collingbourne Ducis and Collingbourne Kingston. Presentation to the living was in the gift of a patronage board, on which the Dean and Canons have one vote.

VCH Wilts, XVI ( London, 1999 ), pp 215-22
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019