TitleWhaddon, Cambridgeshire.
Date1216-1902
Extent61 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Mary, Whaddon, Cambridgeshire, now part of the benefice of Bassingbourn, in the diocese of Ely.

There was probably a church at Whaddon in 1086, as Ralph the priest held land there. Around 1140, Hugh, son of Hardwin de Scalers, gave Whaddon church to Lewes priory in Sussex, where he became a monk. In 1351, the church was granted to Edward III in return for the denization of the priory.

On 1 March 1351, Edward III granted the rectory of Whaddon to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.

Whaddon was united with the vicarage of Meldreth on 9 September 1921, but was disunited in 1953. The rectory was united with the vicarage of Bassingbourn in 1953. Today, Bassingbourn is in the alternate patronage of the D & C and the Dean and Chapter of Westminster.

VCH Cambridgeshire, VIII ( London, 1982 ), p. 149

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019