TitleWoolavington, Somerset.
Date1461-1829
Extent24 items
Related MaterialSee also Puriton, Somerset
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Mary, Woolavington, Somerset.

The church at Woolavington was possibly given by Robert de Chandos in 1113 as part of the foundation grant to his priory at Goldcliff in Monmouthshire. A rector is recorded in the late 12th century and a vicarage was ordained in 1336. Goldcliff priory held the advowson except when it was in the hands of the Crown.

The church was formerly part of the property of the abbey of Bec Herluin in Normandy. The rectory was granted to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) by Edward IV on 20 July 1474.

Today, the D & C are patrons of the living of Woolavington with Cossington and Bawdrip for one turn in two, together with J A Church, esquire.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019