TitleBetchworth, East, Surrey.
Date1565-1910
Extent50 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Michael, East Betchworth, Surrey.

Domesday Survey records a church at Betchworth (presumed to be East Betchworth) held by Richard de Tonbridge, lord of Clare. Afterwards, the church passed to the de Warenne family. Earl Hamelin and his wife Isabella (daughter and heir of the third earl of Warenne) gave it to the priory of St Mary Overy, Southwark before 1199 and this gift was confirmed in the 14th and 15th centuries. The convent of St Mary, Overy retained the advowson until the Dissolution.

In 1545, Henry VIII granted the rectory and advowson to Thomas Burnell and his son William for a yearly rent of 19 shillings. In 1546 the yearly rent was granted to Roland Hill and his heirs, but both grants were possibly annulled or surrendered to the Crown.

The rectory and parsonage of East Betchworth was given to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) in 1547 as part of the New Dotation.

In 1990, East Betchworth became part of a group ministry, which in 1994 was re-arranged as Upper Mole Group Ministry. The living is in the alternate gift of the D & C and All Souls, Oxford.

VCH, Surrey, III (London, 1911), pp. 166-173
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019