TitleBray, Berkshire.
Date1216-1937
Extent175 items
Related MaterialSee also Cookham, Berkshire; Fifield, Berkshire; Maidenhead, Berkshire.
AdminBiogHistoryProperties in Bray, Berkshire, included the Manor of Creswell [also known as Craswells or Cresswells, alias Philberts or Philberds] together with a weir and lands. These were granted to St George's Chapel by Edward III on 18 July 1352.

Other lands in Bray were acquired by the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) through the obit endowment of Queen Anne, wife of Richard II. On 6 January 1396, Thomas Arundel, Archbishop of York, and Edward, Earl of Rutland, granted two pastures in Bray called Frith and Ashcroft to the D & C. Initially, this grant was for the lives of the grantors or surviving grantor, but in the same year was extended to a grant in perpetuity. In the early 15th century, Frith and Ashcroft became a lucrative source of revenue for the D & C, the pastures being leased at a rent of 60s a year from September 1415.

A K B Roberts, St George's Chapel Windsor Castle 1348-1416, pp. 37-38
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019