TitleAll Cannings, Wiltshire.
Date1260-1870
Extent138 items
AdminBiogHistoryBy the late 13th century a portion of the revenues of All Cannings church had been taken by St Mary's Abbey, Winchester (Nunnaminster) to endow a prebend. Until the Dissolution it belonged to successive prebendaries who were usually presented by the abbess. It seemed to include 12 acres of land in 1260, but consisted mainly of great and small tithes from land in All Cannings and Allington.

The advowson of the prebend was granted to Edward Seymour (later Duke of Somerset) in 1536. It was sold to the Crown in 1547 and given to the Dean and Canons of Windsor (D&C), as part of the New Dotation, later that year. Disputes began c.1560 over which lands were tithable to the prebend. Following a commission of 1600 the prebendal estate, though confirmed to the Dean and Canons, was re-defined. The Commissioners allotted all the tithes of Allington tithing and only 2 ½ acres of land in All Cannings to the prebend. The gross value of the prebendal tithes was £134 in 1775 and £292 in 1811. A rent-charge of £264 was allotted to the D&C in 1839 when the great tithes and customary payments in place of the small tithes were all commuted.

VCH Wilts, X (London, 1975), pp. 25-6
NotesRecords are listed in the catalogue by individual reference numbers. To identify these in the online catalogue please use Quick Search or Advanced Search
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019