TitleAmesbury, Wiltshire.
Date1583-1902
Extent143 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Mary and St Melor, Amesbury, in the diocese of Salisbury.

The rectory and parsonage were formerly in the possession of Edward Seymour (later Duke of Somerset) who sold them to the Crown in 1547. They were given to the Dean and Canons of Windsor (D & C) later that year as part of the New Dotation.

Before the Reformation, the church was served by chaplains and afterwards by curates. Until the Dissolution, the right to appoint them was exercised by Amesbury priory. Following the Incumbents Act 1868, the living became a vicarage, which remained in the gift of the D & C.

The living remains ( 2008 ) in the sole gift of the D & C.

VCH, Wilts, XV ( London, 1995), p. 50
CustodialHistorySt George's Chapel
NotesRecords are listed in the catalogue by individual reference numbers. To identify these in the online catalogue please use Quick Search or Advanced Search
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019