TitleDeddington, Oxfordshire.
Date1154-1900
Extent180 items
AdminBiogHistoryThe Dean and Canons of Windsor (D & C) acquired two significant properties in Deddington: the rectory with its rectorial estate, which was granted to them by William de Bohun in 1350, and part of the manor of Deddington Castle, which they purchased from Thomas Dive in about 1386.

The rectory was connected to the parish of St Peter and St Paul, Deddington, Oxfordshire, in the diocese of Lincoln, and from 1545, in the diocese of Oxford.

Deddington church was in existence by the late 12th century and the advowson of the rectory belonged to the early manorial lords. After the manor was divided into three parts, the advowson became vested in the lords of the Duchy manor. In May 1350, William de Bohun, earl of Northampton, one of the Founder Knights, granted the advowson to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) . In 1351 Pope Clement VI, by letters dated 31 January, authorised the appropriation to the College of St George of six benefices. The Warden of Windsor, William Mudge, presented these letters to the papal delegate, the Bishop of Winchester, in order to obtain a formal deed of appropriation for Deddington church. This was granted by the Bishop of Winchester on 10 June 1352. On the death of the last rector in 1352, a vicarage was ordained. For much of the 17th and 18th centuries, presentations to the living were made by the lessees of the rectorial estate.

United benefice of Deddington, Barford, Clifton & Hempton created in 1980, which is in joint gift of D & C and the Bishop of Oxford.

VCH, Oxon, XI, ( London, 1983 ), pp.110-11
Roberts, Administration, pp.17, 29
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019