TitleAnsty, Warwickshire.
Date1506-1867
Extent78 items
AdminBiogHistoryManor of Ansty (Anstey), Warwickshire, within the liberty of Coventry.

In 1086 and earlier, Ansty (together with Foleshill) was one of the Countess Godiva's estates. It later came into the possession of the earls of Chester and descended to Hugh, Earl of Arundel, Robert de Montalt and Robert de Morlee. The estate passed through several families and was eventually quitclaimed to Sir Richard Stanhope in 1406. It remained in the Stanhopes' possession until 1506 when Sir Edward Stanhope sold the estate to George, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. In 1507, the Earl gave the estate to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.

The estate passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1867. It then comprised around 725 acres held under six leases. The bulk of the estate was sold off in three lots in 1869 and 1870 and the remainder in small lots, the final sale being in 1886.

VCH, Warwicks, VIII (London, 1969), pp 43-48
NotesRecords are listed in the catalogue by individual reference numbers. To identify these in the online catalogue please use Quick Search or Advanced Search
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019