TitleFroxfield, Wiltshire.
Date1548-1891
Extent223 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of All Saints, Froxfield, Wiltshire.

Froxfield church was in existence by the 12th century. Sir Henry Cobham, overlord of Froxfield manor, presented a rector in 1307 and 1311, and the advowson descended in the Cobham family until c.1386-90, when John, Lord Cobham, sold it to Sir William Sturmy, who in turn gave it to Easton Priory, c. 1396-98.
In 1547, the rectory was given to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) by the Crown as part of the New Dotation. The D & C kept the advowson when the rectorial estate passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1867 and in 1926, they gave it to the Church Patronage Society by way of exchange.

VCH Wilts, XVI, ( London, 1999 ), pp. 149-65
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019