Click here to skip to main content.
 

About the catalogue:

This catalogue includes details of archive and museum collections held by Heriot-Watt University Archive, Records Management and Museum Service. The collections are located in the University Museum and Archive at our Edinburgh campus and in the University Textile Collection at our Scottish Borders campus.

The Museum and Archive at the Edinburgh campus contains archives, plans, photographs, objects and works of art relating to the history of Heriot-Watt University and its predecessors – Heriot-Watt College (1885–1966) and The School of Arts and Watt Institution & School of Arts (1821-1885). Other related collections include archives of Leith Nautical College and records relating to the engineering firm of Boulton and Watt. Our collection of works of art include portraits of the Gibson-Craig family by Sir Henry Raeburn, paintings by artists of the Edinburgh School such as Elizabeth Blackadder and John Bellany and sculptures from James Watt by Peter Slater and A Stone for the Whales by Stan Wilson.

The University’s Edinburgh Campus is located on the southwest outskirts of Edinburgh in the former Riccarton estate, once the home of the Gibson-Craig family. Related collections include the estate records of title deeds, correspondence and plans dating back to the 15th century. There was a strong connection between the family and the local communities of Currie, Balerno and Juniper Green, and we also hold 5,000 images and archives relating to history of these communities. Of particular interest are images of Edinburgh paper and snuff mills on the Water of Leith.

The Textile Collection held at the Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels is an internationally recognised research collection relating to the history of the Scottish textile industry, dating from the mid 18th century to the present day which provides a source of inspiration for current students and designers as well as those researching the history of the Scottish textile industry. Highlights include business records and pattern books of woven woollen fabric from Scottish Borders mills from the 1850s to the 1990s; fabric, garments, knitting patterns and publicity material from textile designer and artist Bernat Klein; printed and woven furnishing fabrics from Donald Brothers of Dundee; Paisley shawls, highland dress, tartan and costume. The Collection also includes the records of the Galashiels Combined Technical College (1889-1909), South of Scotland Combined Technical College (1909-1922), Scottish Woollen Technical College (1922-1968) and Scottish College of Textiles (1968-1998) which are of interest to those researching the history of Scottish Textile Education as well as providing a useful source of information for family and local historians.

Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019