Ref NoMS/641
TitlePlans for building a new museum - Museum Darwinianum
AdminHistoryThe State Darwin Museum [formerly known as the Museum Darwinianum, Moscow] was established in 1907 by Professor Alexander Eric Kohts [also known as Coates], from his own collection of biological specimens. Kohts was a museum researcher, who read the lectures on the theory of evolution at the Moscow Higher Female Courses at the University of Moscow. When it was opened, it was the first museum devoted only to the theory of evolution. In 1911 Alexander Kohts married Dr Nadezhda Ladygina, the animal behaviourist, and they were co-directors of the museum until 1964. Plans for a new building for the museum were begun in the 1960s but not complete until the 1990s. The museum is still in existence today.
DescriptionPortfolio of photographs of floorplans, model of front of building and a list of contents for the building of a new museum [the Museum Darwinianum] by Alexander Eric Kohts [also known as Coates]. Includes black and white photographs of the founder, A.E.Kohts in 1896, 1913, 1915 and 1959, and of his wife, N.N. Kohts in 1915 and 1959, and of interior shots of the museum and display cases.

Photographs are contained in a black presentation case with a photograph of a sculpture of Charles Darwin on the front.
Date1959 - 1960
LevelFile
Extent1 folder
LanguageEnglish
Related MaterialMS/637-MS/646
AcquisitionPresented to the library of the Linnean Society by Sir Julian S. Huxley on 26 April 1960.
Creator NameMuseum Darwinianum, Moscow
Access_StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024