Ref NoMS/644
TitlePhotographs of sculptures of evolutionists - Museum Darwinianum
AdminHistoryThe State Darwin Museum [formerly known as the Museum Darwinianum, Moscow] was established in 1907 by Professor Alexander Eric Kohts [also known as Coates], from his own collection of biological specimens. Kohts was a museum researcher, who read the lectures on the theory of evolution at the Moscow Higher Female Courses at the University of Moscow. When it was opened, it was the first museum devoted only to the theory of evolution. In 1911 Alexander Kohts married Dr Nadezhda Ladygina, the animal behaviourist, and they were co-directors of the museum until 1964. Plans for a new building for the museum were begun in the 1960s but not complete until the 1990s. The museum is still in existence today.
DescriptionPart 1: Series of 20 black and white photographs of sculptured portraits of eminent evolutionists sent to the Linnean Society by the Museum Darwinianum. Portraits of the following individuals: W.Bateson, E.D.Cope, C.R.Darwin (5), Emma Darwin (2), F.Galton, T.H.Huxley (3), J.B.Lamarck, C.Lyell, O.C.Marsh, H.F.Osborn, A.R.Wallace (2), and R.M. Yerkes.

Part 2: Series of photographs illustrating the manufacture of sculptured portraits, and the distribution of copies to major overseas institutions, including the Linnean Society.

Part 3: 4 black and white photographs of sculptures and artwork showing Darwin, Wallace (2) and an unknown individual.
Date1960
LevelFile
Extent3 folders (parts 1-3)
LanguageEnglish
Related MaterialMS/637-MS/646
Creator NameMuseum Darwinianum, Moscow
Access_StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024