|In 1911 the Commissioners decided to extend their system of research scholarships to provide for the study and practice of the fine arts. With the assistance of a number of artists, the Commissioners therefore established a number of travelling scholarships which were to be tenable at the British School at Rome.
Provision of working and living quarters for the students while in Rome was made possible by the Municipality of Rome which presented a site in the Valle Giulia, the Commissioners promising to incorporate in the proposed building Sir Edwin Lutyens' much-admired design for the façade of the British Pavilion in the International Fine Art Exhibition being held in Rome in 1911. The Commissioners undertook to use the site for a joint academy of art and letters, incorporating the existing British School of Archaeology in Rome which had been founded in 1901. The enlarged British School at Rome was established under Royal Charter in 1912 and included five faculties of Archaeology, History and Letters, Painting, Sculpture and Architecture and, later, of Printmaking. The Commission's support for the School was concluded in 1996.
There are no files on the Rome Scholars in the 1851 archive but a list of those supported by the Commission can be found in Record of Award Holders in Science, Engineering and the Arts, 1891-2000, 1851 Royal Commission, London 2001. Further information is held by the British School at Rome at its archive in Rome.
See also: Miscellaneous Correspondence, RC/50/150