|Description||The Royal College of Organists was founded in 1864, on the initiative of Richard Limpus, organist at St. Michael's, Cornhill, and incorporated in 1893 by Royal Charter (with a Supplemental Charter in 1966). The College's meeting place and headquarters was Richard Limpus's private house until his death in 1875, when it moved to Hart Street, Bloomsbury.|
In March 1903, the Royal College of Organists addressed a Memorial to the Commissioners asking for a lease of the house previously occupied by the Royal College of Music. On the completion of improvements and alterations, the College was granted a lease of 99 years at an annual rent of £1 on condition that the building should be used only for the purposes of the College.
The College finally vacated the building in 1994 when it was sold on a 125 year lease.