|Description||Correspondence concerning the lease by the Commission of land for the erection of the Imperial Institute; the removal of part of the French Court to make room for Imperial Institute Road, and the subsequent dispute over the use of the French Court as a means of access to the Indian Museum; the plans by the Commission for the development of the northern part of their Estate; the alterations to the Eastern and Western Galleries; the securing of an entrance to the Imperial Institute on the north side of the site; the lease by the Institute of spaces on either side of the Institute, together with portions of the East and West Arcades, for roads; the retention by the Office of Works of tenancy of the Southern Galleries; the construction of a cross gallery connecting the Eastern and Western Galleries; the lease, by the Commission, to the Office of Works of the Eastern and Western Galleries for a proposed British Art Gallery. Correspondents include: Sir Arthur Ellis, Office of Works (H.W. Primrose), Sir Frederick Abel, Sir Lyon Playfair, Henry A. Hunt, J.D. Donnelly.|
Also: Plan of the Imperial Institute site; copy of 'Schedule of Works' to be completed by the Imperial Institute Corporation; Report of the Imperial Institute Committee; précis of correspondence between the 1851 Commission and H.M. Government on the
. tenancy of the Western Exhibition Galleries, 1879-82, and the South and Western Galleries, 1882-83; Copy of Contract for terra-cotta for Exhibition buildings at South Kensington, 1869; Copy of a Contract for new buildings at South Kensington, 1869.