|Description||From its foundation in 1830, the Royal Geographical Society held its meetings in several locations until, in 1870, it purchased the freehold of 1 Savile Row which provided space for the development of its collections of books and maps. At the beginning of the 20th Century, with further need for enlargement, the Society also bought 6A Vigo Street.|
In 1912, shortly after the election of the new President, Lord Curzon, the Savile Row and Vigo Street premises were sold and the house and garden of Lowther Lodge, belonging to James Lowther MP, were purchased. The house, on the corner of Kensington Gore and Exhibition Road, was adapted for the Society's requirements.
With the 1851 Exhibition surplus, the Commissioners bought all the land south of Kensington Gore with the exception of Eden Lodge, owned by Lord Auckland, Bishop of Sodor and Man. His property was bought by William Lowther who built Lowther Lodge in 1874 to the designs of Norman Shaw. William Lowther subsequently purchased from the Commissioners a strip of land along Exhibition Road which comprises the only part of The Royal Geographical Society's property formerly part of the Commissioners' original Estate.
See 2 Lowther Gardens, 119.