RefNoACM/MAPS/11
TitleParish of Sheffield - Ecclesall Bierlow
DescriptionThe Duke of Norfolk held some land in the Manor of Ecclesall, though Earl Fitzwilliam was Lord of the Manor and the largest proprietor. The old township of Ecclesall included Little Sheffield Moor (commemorated in The Moor, the modern shopping street) and the area between Button Lane and Division Street. This district adjoined the town centre and was developed for building in much the same way as Hibbert and Bailey Fields to the North.

Beyond Little Sheffield, Ecclesall was entirely rural, except for the wheels on the Porter. The fields and commons of Ecclesall and Nether Hallam were interspersed and the boundary between the two townships was a subject of dispute. The Ecclesall inclosure Act was passed in 1779; several maps show the Duke's allotments under the award. One interesting sidelight on the inclosure is the proposed Town Green, shown in (ACM/MAPS/SheS/2035); this does not seem to have materialised. Two doles in Sharrow fields are shown in ACM/MAPS/SheS/1423 and ACM/MAPS/SheS/2064.

Most of the plans relate to the development area adjoining the town, and these have been grouped together. ACM/MAPS/SheS/2036 shows Carver Fields in 1764, before development. The whole area from Button Lane to Division Street is shown set out for development in 1791 (ACM/MAPS/SheS/2045) including Carver Street which had been laid out at a somewhat earlier date.

A small plan (ACM/MAPS/SheS/1669) shows some lots in the latter street set out for members of a Club, who were nearly all connected with the cutlery trades; Carver Street came to be a district of many little cutlery businesses.

The Duke's allotments on Little Sheffield Moor were developed in much the same way. They are shown before and during development in (ACM/MAPS/SheS/2042 and ACM/MAPS/SheS/2044).

In this section the Sheffield and Chesterfield Turnpike Road is referred to as London Road throughout, and that part of it called South Street on Fairbank's 1808 map of the town, as The Moor.
Datec. 1749 - [1805]
Extent52 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022