RefNoACM/MAPS/15
TitleChapelry of Bradfield
DescriptionThe Chapelry of Bradfield included the hamlets of Stannington, Bolsterstone, Worrall and others and a number of scattered farms. Much of the area was moorland. The Manor of Wadsley, adjoining Bradfield, belonged to the Bamforths of High House. Part of the area called Loxley Chase lay in Bradfield and part in Wadsley. The boundary between the two manors was in dispute in the early 18th century (ACM/MAPS/Bra/154 and ACM/MAPS/Bra/155). The Lord of the Manor of Bolsterstone at the end of the 18th century was Lord Melbourne. Bolsterstone Common and Loxley Chase were enclosed by Act of Parliament (Bolsterstone 1778 and Loxley Chase 1784) and both these Acts had repercussions on the Duke's Bradfield estates; ACM/MAPS/Bra/169 illustrates a dispute concerning Bolsterstone Common and there are several plans showing Loxley allotments.

Though some of them are crude, the most interesting of the plans in this section are the early maps of farms and of the boundary dispute already mentioned.
Date[early 18th cent] - 1825
Extent21 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022