RefNoACM/MAPS/7
TitleParish of Sheffield - Attercliffe-Cum-Darnall Township
DescriptionThe open fields were inclosed at a late date in this township; the Parliamentary Inclosure Act is dated 1810. Unfortunately, the map belonging to the survey of the township in 1783 (ACM/MAPS/S81) which would have given a complete picture of the village before inclosure, is not among the Norfolk maps or the Fairbank Collection. Some of the plans, however, show parts of the open fields with remains of the old strips and the process of consolidation going on (ACM/MAPS/SheD740b, 776). ACM/MAPS/SheD758-759 give some idea of Oakes Green before and after inclosure.

The earliest surviving series of maps for the whole township is the survey for a new rate, after inclosure, in 1819. ACM/MAPS/S99 is a copy of this.

Collieries were worked on Attercliffe Common and there are several early colliery plans (ACM/MAPS/SheD777,778). The lower Don, which forms the boundary between this township and Brightside, supplied power for a number of wheels, mills and works. Plans of these, for the two townships, are grouped together at the end of the Brightside section, as most of the actual works lay on the Brightside bank of the river.

In this section the two turnpike roads are referred to by their modern names throughout: Tinsley and Rotherham Turnpike Road = Attercliffe Road; and Sheffield and Worksop Turnpike Road = Worksop Road.
Date1733 - c. 1820
Extent33 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022