RefNoBUS15
TitleDuncan Gilmour & Company Limited, Dixon Lane Brewery, Dixon Lane, Sheffield
AdminHistoryDuncan Gilmour & Co Ltd, [Brewers] Dixon Lane Brewery, Dixon Lane, Sheffield were established as wine and spirit merchants at 86 Queen Street, Sheffield in 1831, moving offices and wine cellars to Dixon Lane in 1860 by which date they had begun to brew at the Furnival Brewery. By 1884 the company was trading at Dixon Lane Brewery, High Street, Moor, Queens Street and West Bar. Gilmour's was registered as a limited liability company on 31st October 1891 to acquire the business of brewers and wine and spirit merchants. Over the next century Gilmour was very successful and expanded to include many local brewery / wine merchant businesses as well as others in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire.

Thomas Rawson & Company Limited was taken over by Duncan Gilmour & Company Limited in 1946 whilst T. Linsley & Company Limited was taken over in 1952 and went into voluntary liquidation on 25th October 1967. Glen Rossie Distillers Limited was owned by Duncan Gilmour & Company Limited by 1954 although the exact date of take over is not known.

Duncan Gilmour & Company Limited was acquired by Joshua Tetley & Son Limited, The Brewery, Leeds in 1954, at which time it owned 148 public houses in Sheffield and 350 public houses (and the Windsor Brewery) in Liverpool. It ceased to brew prior to 1964.
DescriptionBUS 15/1 - Corporate Records
BUS 15/2 - Financial Records
BUS 15/3 - Property Records
Date1884 - 1964
Extent18 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
CustodialHistoryThese records, the property of Allied Breweries, later became the property of a public house owning company named Punch Taverns. This company had no use for the records and handed them to the Brewery History Society that, in turn, donated them to Sheffield Archives in 2003.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024