RefNoCA38
TitleSheffield Burial Board (later Burial Ground Sub-Committee) and Handsworth Burial Board
AdminHistoryA burial board for Sheffield Township was elected in 1862 and proposed to develop a burial ground at Darnall. This was rejected by the Vestry and the scheme lapsed. A new board was elected in 1877 and purchased from the Duke of Norfolk, 50 acres of land fronting on Intake Road, (later City Road). Some 7 acres of the cemetery were set aside for Catholic burials.

The cemetery was opened in May 1881.

On 25 March 1900 the powers of the Sheffield Burial Board, together with City Road Cemetery, were taken over by Sheffield City Council's Burial Ground sub-committee. A crematorium was opened within the cemetery in 1905.
DescriptionMinutes, letter books and accounts
Date1857 - 1906
Extent15 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022