TitleSheffield School Board Pupil Teachers Centre [corner of Orchard Lane and Holly Street] - Floor Plans, Basement Ground Mezzanines
AdminHistoryIn 1881 the Sheffield School Board grouped all Board School pupil teachers into 11 centres where instruction was given by selected head teachers. By 1884 there were 5 centres and in 1887 it was decided to open a single pupil teacher centre. Originally buildings in School Croft and at Bow Street School were used, but in 1896 it was agreed that a new centre should be built on the corner of Orchard Lane and Holly Street (the building opened in 1899).

A pupil teacher started training at 14 and spent four years 'apprenticed' to a head teacher and two years at a training college after which they were qualified to teach.

In 1933 the centre moved into the buildings vacated by the Central Secondary Schools (which had moved to High Storrs) at nearby Leopold Street. In 1936 the Pupil Teacher Centre was recognised as a secondary school and its name was changed to City Secondary School (not to be confused with the Central Secondary School which was initially based at Leopold Street but had moved to High Storrs).
In 1940 the school name was changed to City Grammar School.

In 1964 the school moved to new premises at Stradbroke Road. The buildings at Stradbroke Road were considerably extended in 1969 when secondary education in Sheffield was reorganised on comprehensive lines. The new buildings were officially opened in 1970.

As part of the Building Schools for the Future programme the school was entirely rebuilt in 2009-2011.
DescriptionScale 8 feet : 1 inch.

Architect: H W Lockwood, 22 Pinstone Street, [Sheffield].
DateMay 1897
Extent1 item
FormatPaper - manuscript
RelatedMaterialSee also CA980/1.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024