RefNoCOAL/DAC/5
TitleMarkham Main Colliery Company Limited
AdminHistoryIn Jun 1913 Sir Arthur Markham secured the lease to the mineral rights at Armthorpe, near Doncaster, from Earl Fitzwilliam. Sinking was to begin immediately by the International Boring Company using German labour. Sir Arthur died soon after sinking commenced (1916) and the colliery became known as Markham Main in his honour. Operations ceased at the outbreak of war. It was not until 1924 when the shafts reached the Barnsley seam.

Markham Main Colliery Limited later became part of Doncaster Amalgamated Collieries Limited. The company worked the colliery until nationalisation in 1947.

The colliery closed in 1992.

(Source: Alan Hill, The South Yorkshire Coalfield: a history and development, Tempus: 2001, p.29)
DescriptionTonnage books (weekly output), 1924 - 1944 (COAL/DAC/5/1)

Monthly cost sheets, 1930 - 1946 (COAL/DAC/5/2)

Wages [clerks], 1916; 1942 - 1946 (COAL/DAC/5/3)

Pit Production Committee minutes, 1942 - 1947 (COAL/DAC/5/4)

Accounts, 1916 - 1936 (COAL/DAC/5/5)

Correspondence, 1932 - 1947 (COAL/DAC/5/6)

Statement of interest, (Coal Nationalisation Act, 1946), [1940s] (COAL/DAC/5/7)

Miscellaneous records: reports on visits to colliery, invoices and notes on dirt scheme, 1928 - 1944 (COAL/DAC/5/8-13)

Gross outputs and losses, 1938 - 1954 (COAL/DAC/5/14)
Date1916 - 1947
Extent28 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
RelatedMaterialFor other records relating to Markham Main Colliery post-1947 see: BCC.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022