TitleYorkshire Main Colliery Company
AdminHistoryThe Yorkshire Main Colliery was located at Edlington, Doncaster.

In 1907, the Staveley Coal and Iron Company of Derbyshire acquired mineral rights in Edlington. In 1909 the sinking of the colliery began. The colliery was known as the Edlington Colliery (or Edlington Main). In September 1909 the name was changed to Yorkshire Main and in 1913 the Yorkshire Main Colliery Company was formed.

Two shafts were sunk between 1909 - 1911 and the colliery started production.

Yorkshire Main Colliery Company later became part of Doncaster Amalgamated Collieries Limited. The company worked the colliery until nationalisation in 1947.

The colliery was closed in 1985.

(Source: Warwick Taylor, South Yorkshire Pits, Wharncliffe Books: 2001, pp.109-110)
DescriptionPrivate ledger, 1912 - 1920 (COAL/DAC/6/1)

Statement of interest (Coal Nationalisation Act, 1946), [1940s] (COAL/DAC/6/2)

Reports on firedamp emissions, 1945 (COAL/DAC/6/3-4)
Date1912 - [1940s]
Extent4 items
RelatedMaterialFor photographs and press cuttings relating to Yorkshire Main Colliery, 1950s - 1980s, see BCC/12 and BCC/20.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024