TitleEarl Fitzwilliam's Collieries Company (Elsecar and New Stubbin Collieries)
AdminHistoryIn the 19th century the Earl Fitzwilliam operated a number of small collieries in the Elsecar area of South Yorkshire. By the early 20th century, these were nearing exhaustion leading the Earl to sink two new collieries on his land: Elsecar and New Stubbin Collieries. Earl Fitzwilliam's Collieries Company worked these collieries until nationalisation in 1947.

Elsecar Main Colliery was situated 4.5 miles from Barnsley, mid-way between Barnsley and Rotherham, an area which had been worked since the 17th century. Sinking of shafts began in 1905 by Earl Fitzwilliam's Collieries Company. The No.1 shaft reached coal in the Parkgate seam in 1906 and No.2 shaft in 1908. The colliery chimney was completed in Oct 1908.

New Stubbin Colliery was sunk approximately 2.5 miles north of Rotherham, close to the village of Rawmarsh. The first sod was cut in 1913. The Parkgate seam was reached in 1916. The colliery closed in 1978.
DescriptionThese records relate to colliery cottages and relief payments but not to coal production, except in relation to rate assessments. They relate mainly to Elsecar and New Stubbin Collieries, along with a few documents relating to the earlier Low Stubbin Colliery.

Low Stubbin Colliery - papers regarding dispute, 1873 - 1874 (COAL/EFC/1)

Cottage rentals, 1935 - 1953 (COAL/EFC/2)

Rating assessments, 1933 - 1948 (COAL/EFC/3)

Expired leases, 1912 - 1916 (COAL/EFC/4)

Relief payments, 1938 - 1955 (COAL/EFC/5)

Cost books, 1915 - 1946 (COAL/EFC/6)

Time book [New Stubbin Colliery], Nov - Dec 1915 (COAL/EFC/7)

Circulars and price lists, 1930 - 1946 (COAL/EFC/8-9)
Date1873 - 1955
Extent17 items
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

See also records relating to Earl Fitzwilliam's collieries in the Wentworth Woodhouse Muniments (WWM).

For records relating to New Stubbin and Elsecar Collieries post-1947, see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024