RefNoCOAL/MM/9
TitleTinsley Park Colliery Company Limited (Kilnhurst Colliery)
AdminHistoryKilnhurst Colliery was situated at Kilnhurst, three miles north east of Rotherham. The colliery was sunk in 1858 by J & J Charleworth Limited of Wakefield. The colliery was originally known as Thrybergh Hall, becoming known as Kilnhurst Colliery from c.1923.

In 1923 the colliery was taken over by Stewarts and Lloyds Limited of Glasgow, who used the colliery to supply coke to their iron and steel works at Corby, Bilston and Islip.

In 1936, the colliery changed hands again when it was taken over by Tinsley Park Colliery Company Limited.

In 1944, the United Steel Company acquired Tinsley Park Colliery Company Limited. Manvers Main Colliery Company Limited negotiated with United Steel for the acquisition of Kilnhurst and took over the management of the colliery from from 1 Feb 1945.

Manvers Main Colliery Company Limited worked the colliery until nationalisation in 1947.
DescriptionCorrespondence and papers relating mainly to leases, insurance and royalties, 1924 - 1932 (COAL/MM/9/1)

Accounts and balance sheets, prior to the proposed purchase of the Kilnhurst Collieries by the Tinsley Park Colliery Company Limited, 1917 - 1936 (COAL/MM/9/2)

Scaling tracings, 1924 - 1943 (COAL/MM/9/3)

Correspondence relating to leases, 1866 - 1945 (COAL/MM/9/4)

Miscellaneous files, 1944 - 1946 (COAL/MM/9/5)
Date[1855] - 1946
Extent172 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
RelatedMaterialFor records relating to Kilnhurst post-1947 (including the proceedings of the Independent Review Body into the Manvers/Kilnhurst Complex, 1987), see NCB.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022