RefNoMD5716/5/4
Alternative Reference numberMD5757
TitleTitle deeds to an estate at Whitely Wood, Fulwood purchased by Robert Cook of Hathersage, needle manufacturer (22 Oct 1841)
DescriptionPurchased from the representatives of John Hudson, deceased; and left by Cook in two separate portions to his sons Joseph Arnold and John Francis, who both mortgaged their portions to Mary Benson Fox of Todwick Grange in 1868.

There appears to have been two separate properties. The main one was settled (22 March, 1661/2) on the marriage off John Newbold of Ecclesall and Elizabeth Hodgkinson, widow of John Hodgkinson late of Barbott Hall, and then consisted of a messuage in Upper Whitely Wood and closes called the Bank, the Ovencroft, the Havelock land, the Cadeing, the Toft etc. A moity of the same property was purchased by John Battie of Sheffield of Jonathan Hirst and wife Mary (1717); and two other fourth parts came to families named Brelsforth and Clarke from the Newbolds. The whole was acquired by William Hudson of Lewes from Thomas Smith of Dunston (nephew of Battie) and the Clarks (1810). The other property was left by will of William Webster of Whiteley Wood (1788), part to granddaughter Mary Elam who married William Hudson and part to grandchildren named Patten; the Patten property was purchased by William Hudson (1830). (A fine of 1717/18 names deforciants Baxter, Steer and Hirst, relating to property in Dalton as well as Ecclesall - translation attached).
Date1662 - 1871
Extent1 item
AccessStatusOpen
LevelItem
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024