RefNoMD7391
TitleWillford and Co. Ltd, Railway Spring Manufacturers, Sheffield
AdminHistoryThe firm of Willford and Cocking, spring manufacturers, was established at Park House works, Effingham Street in 1892 by George William Willford and Frank Cocking. When Cocking retired, Willford joined with Henry Green and Thompson Jowett, partners in Jonathan Shaw, tool manufacturers, and others to set up Willford and Co. Ltd. in 1895. The new company absorbed the Glasgow Spring Co. which had previously been run by Thompson Jowett.

Willford and Co. Ltd. specialised in the manufacture of railway springs.

In 1945 the firm was taken over by Jonas Woodhead and Sons Ltd. of Leeds. The company name survived until at least 1960. Subsequently it became part of Woodhead Components Ltd. and was later taken over by Carclo Engineering Ltd.
DescriptionMemoranda and Articles of Association, 1895 - 1945 (MD 7391/1/1)
Minutes of Directors' meetings, 1895 - 1942 (MD 7391/1/2)
Shareholder records, 1895 - 1958 (MD 7391/1/3)
Agreements and leases, 1919 - 1940 (MD 7391/2/1)
Patent specifications and letters patent, 1943 - 1945 (MD 7391/2/2)
Annual Statement of Accounts, 1924 - 1938 (MD 7391/3/1)
Ledgers, 1881 - 1944 (MD 7391/3/2)
Cash books and private journals, 1895 - 1958 (MD 7391/3/3)
Reports on status and creditworthiness, c. 1929 - 1957 (MD 7391/3/4)
Wages and salaries books, 1912 - 1957 (MD 7391/4/1)
Employee records, 1930s - 1960 (MD 7391/4/2)
Inventories and valuations of plant and property, 1937 - 1958 (MD 7391/5/1-3)
Date1881 - 1962
Extent66 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024