RefNoNHS28/11
TitleSheffield Joint Consultative and Advisory Hospitals Council
AdminHistoryThe Sheffield Joint Consultative and Advisory Hospitals Council was formed in 1919 to assist the four Sheffield Voluntary Hospitals by consultation, representation and advice on matters of general policy and interest; to raise moneys in support of those hospitals; and to promote coordination. Acting as a coordinating agency for the goodwill of the community on behalf of the four Sheffield Voluntary Hospitals, it was also known as the Sheffield Joint Hospitals Council; its constitution was formalised in 1925. The President was the Lord Mayor and the Council included representation from the City Corporation, Cutlers Company, University of Sheffield, Sheffield Board of Guardians, Ecclesall Board of Guardians, the individual hospitals, Trades and Labour Council, British Hospitals Association and the Hospital Sunday Fund.

The Council worked towards increasing the hospitals' finances by means of the 'Penny in the Pound' scheme established in 1921. This was contributions scheme, organised through works whereby employees contributed one penny per pound they earned, to which the employer added one third to the total of the employees' contributions; contributors and their dependents were entitled to free treatment at the hospitals. Funds raised also financed convalescent care and the ambulance transport service.

At the introduction of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948, much of its raison d'etre was gone, but it continued to collect in reduced contributions to fund the Convalescent Home which was not funded by NHS. The President was the Lord Mayor and the Council included representation from the City Corporation, Cutlers Company, University of Sheffield, Sheffield Board of Guardians, Ecclesall Board of Guardians, the individual hospitals, Trades and Labour Council, British Hospitals Association and the Hospital Sunday Fund.
Date1922 - 1939
Extent9 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022