TitleSchool of Physiotherapy
AdminHistoryThe Executive Committe of the Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre considered the proposal to establish a School of Massage in Sheffield in March 1946. It was also suggested that it could form part of the School of Nursing.
In March 1948 the Court of Management of the merged Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital adopted recommendations from a special sub-committee that a School of Physiotherapy be established, and that Westbourne House in Whitham Road be allocated as its premises. It was to be managed by a committee composed of the sub-committee with representatives from the University of Sheffield, the Jessop Hospital for Women and the Children's Hospital.
The first set of students commenced training on 4 April 1949 and Westbourne House was officially opened in the June by the Lord Mayor. As well as its Westbourne House headquarters it had facilities in departments of the various Sheffield hospitals. The last meeting of the School Committee was held on 5 June 1952; thereafter it was included, along with the Rehabilitation Centre, in with the Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre House Committee.
In 1956 it was agreed that the new Graves Radiotherapy Centre - later known as Weston Park Hospital, be built on the Westbourne House site.
The School was transferred to the Sheffield Polytechnic on 1 September 1976.
Date1948 - 1975
Extent83 items
RelatedMaterialSee also: correspondence concerning new School of Physiotherapy, 1957 - 1970 (NHS12/1/5/3/2)
Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre records (NHS18)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023