RefNoNR1481
Alternative Reference numberNR1481
TitleTrinity Firvale Methodist Church (formerly Trinity Methodist Church, formerly Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church), Firth Park Road, Sheffield
AdminHistoryTrinity Wesleyan Methodist Church (as it was originally known) was built on the junction of Firth Park Road and Owler Lane and opened on 2 Nov 1899 with seating for 960 people. It was formerly part of the Ellesmere Road Circuit and later became part of the Sheffield North East Circuit.

In 1950, Trinity Methodist Church united with the neighbouring Firvale Methodist Chapel (on Owler Lane) in complete fellowship and in all branches of church membership and activities under the title 'Trinity Firvale Methodist Church'.

In 1978, the church schoolroom premises were sold. The church itself closed on 11 June 2017.
DescriptionRegisters of Baptisms, 1899 - 2017 (NR1481/1)
Registers of Marriages, 1901 - 2012 (NR1481/2)

Other Records (not listed):

(NR1481):
Wesley Guild general meeting minute book, Oct 1922 - Mar 1936.

(Acc. 1995/65):
Trustees minute book, Feb 1936 - Feb 1970 (14061, item 16)
Trustees minutes (file), May 1970 - Apr 1977 (14056, item 17).

(Acc. 2006/102):
Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church, Leaders' Meetings minutes minutes (signed), Mar 1899 - Jul 1912 [Box 2 11337];
Trinity Firvale Methodist Church, correspondence, reports and minutes, 1974-1999 [Box 1 11336]:
Church Council correspondence, c. 1975 - 1980.
Correspondence relating to sale of schoolroom, 1978.
Pastoral and Neighbourhood Committee minutes and correspondence, 1974 - 1987.
Church Family Committee minutes and reports, Feb 1974 - Sep 1987.
Church Council minutes and correspondence, 1974 - 1987.
Church Council/Family Committee minutes and reports. 1990 - 1999,
Property Committee and Finance Committee (became Joint Property and Finance Committee from 30 Sep 1982) minutes and reports, 1976 - 1987.
Copies of lists of names with background information on church 'Rolls of Honour' for First World War and Second World War.

(2018/4):

Deeds and legal documents:

Memorandum for production of and delivery of copies of documents concerning conveyance of land for erection of a Wesleyan Chapel: John Bradley Firth, esq. to Trustees of the Firth Park Road Wesleyan Chapel, 31 Oct 1898.
Memoranda of choice and appointment of new trustees of chapel 1904 - 1972 (x 10 memorandums dated: 22 Dec 1904, 26 Jun 1916, 22 Jul 1925, 14 Jul 1938, 28 May 1938, 12 Jun 1950, 3 Jul 1950, 12 Sep 1952, 18 Oct 1963, 9 Jun 1972).
Certificate of worship, 30 Sep 1899.
Certificate for solemnization of marriages, 26 Jan 1901.

Trinity Wesley Guild magazine (including articles, poems, watercolours and humorous caricatures), 1923.
Date1899 - 2017
Extent14 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
CustodialHistoryThese records were deposited with Sheffield Archives by representatives of the Sheffield Methodist Circuit (and predecessor circuits) in various instalments in Feb 1981, Aug 1995, Sep 2006 and Jan 2018. The marriage registers were deposited by the Sheffield Superintendent Registrar, Sheffield Register Office, in Nov 2018.
AcquisitionSourceThese records were deposited with Sheffield Archives by representatives of the Sheffield Methodist Circuit (and predecessor circuits) in various instalments in Feb 1981, Aug 1995, Sep 2006 and Jan 2018. The marriage registers were deposited by the Sheffield Superintendent Registrar, Sheffield Register Office, in Nov 2018.
ArchNoteCatalogue prepared by Tim Knebel, Jan 2018 (revised Jan 2019)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024