RefNoNR2329
TitleVictoria Methodist Church (formerly Victoria Wesleyan Methodist Church), Stafford Road, Park, Sheffield
AdminHistoryVictoria Methodist Church was built in 1901 at the junction of Stafford Road and Fitzwalter Road in the Park district of Sheffield with seating accommodation for 640 adults (or a mixed congregation of 800 people) at an estimated total cost of £10,200. The church was formally opened on 17 June 1901. The church had two vestries, a church parlour, a school block (with assembly room and seven classrooms, providing accommodation for 500 scholars). The architect was Mr John Wills of Derby and London and the builder was Mr James Fidler of Eckington.

Prior to the opening of the church, Wesleyan Methodists in the Park district of Sheffield had a place of worship at the bottom of Duke Street.

The church originally served as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It was formerly part of the Sheffield East Methodist Circuit and prior to that was part of Norfolk Circuit and prior to that part of the Park Circuit.
DescriptionRegisters of Baptisms, 1901 - 1987 (NR2329/1)
Registers of Marriages, 1927 - 1994 (NR2329/2)

Other Records (not listed):

(Acc. 2003/12):
Seat Rent Ledgers 1901-31; Collection Journals 1913-64; Leaders Meeting Minute Books 1901-49; Church Council Meeting Minutes 1985-88; Sewing Meeting & Sale of Work accounts & programmes 1931-39; Local Youth Council Meeting Minutes 1970-90; Subscribers etc

(Acc. 2003/12 add 1):
Quarterly Newsletter May 1959-Sep 1990, Correspondence files (x 2) re events etc (1968-1983; 1984-1985), File of Marriage Detail & Routine Forms with correspondence from General Record Office (1956-1984).

(Acc. 2003/12 add 2):
Women's Meeting Acounts (1907-49), Local Sunday School Committee Minutes (1946-59), Local Youth Council Minutes (1960-70), Accounts (1952-1965), Souvenir Handbook (1951), Telegram (undated) and Easter Services Notice (1965).

(Acc. 2004/109):
Trust accounts, 1901-1986; trustees' minutes 1948-1991; trust correspondence and financial papers, including bequests, (also some church activities, 1990s) 1915-1994;treasurer's day book 1901-1928; finance committee minutes 1955-1964; heating fund accounts 1965-1967; choir accounts 1946-1965; Women's Work accounts and Easter offerings 1957-2000; building plans and related papers c. 1930- 1983; 50 year and centenary anniversary brochures 1951 and 2001.

(Acc. 2006/132 part):
Cash Book (audited), 1901-1935.

(Acc. 2006/144):
Architect's plan of the church, with pins to show position of occupied pews (no names).

(Acc. 2018/4):
Accounts for sewing meetings and sales of work, 1933 - 1993.
Church accounts, 1986 - 1991.
Date1901 - 1994
Extent12 items (registers only)
AccessStatusRestricted
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022