RefNoPR163
TitleLetwell, St Peter, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe church of St Peter, Letwell, is believed to date from around 1390, but has been substantially altered over time. The parish of Letwell was formed out of the parish of Throapham, St John. The church of St Peter was rebuilt c. 1820 (with the exception of the tower) at the expense of Henry Gally Knight, in place of the more ancient church. The church was severely damaged by fire in 1867, when all that remained were the outside walls and parts of the 14th-century tower and vestry. It was restored by 1869 (at the expense of Sir Thomas Woolaston White, the son of the famous soldier Sir Thomas White).

Letwell was united with the parish of Firbeck under the Union of Benefices Measure of 1923. Since 1975, the living has been held in plurality with Woodsetts (creating the joint Benefice of St Martin, Firbeck, with St Peter, Letwell and St George, Woodsetts).

The church is situated on Church Lane, Letwell, and is in the Deanery of Laughton.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1813 - 2010 (PR163/1)
Marriages, 1869 - 2016 (PR163/2)
Burials, 1841 - 2010 (PR163/3)
Services, 1898 - 1975 (PR163/4)
Date1813 - 2016
Extent8 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialThroapham, St John, Anglican Parish (PR115)
Firbeck, St Martin, Anglican Parish (PR150)
Woodsetts, St George, Anglican Parish (PR164)
AcquisitionSourceThese items were deposited at Sheffield Archives by the rector of the joint Benefice of St Martin, Firbeck with St Peter, Letwell and St George, Woodsetts in Feb 2011 (accession: 2011/7).
ArchNoteCatalogue prepared by Tim Knebel, Mar 2011. Amended by Robin Wiltshire, October 2022.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024