RefNoPR37
TitleRotherham, St Mary Magdalene, Whiston, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe parish of St Mary Magdalene, Whiston is in the Rotherham Deanery (1999). In the 18th and 19th centuries, it was often referred to as the Parish Church of St James. Canon Raine, a church historian of the 19th century claimed that 'St James' was a modern ascription and that the original dedication was St Mary Magdalene. The 'St James' ascription was most likely adopted under Puritan influence'.
DescriptionRegisters:
Baptisms, 1587 - 1997 (PR37/1 and (PR37/2)
Marriages, 1587 - 1997 (PR37/1 and (PR37/3)
Banns, 1840-1895, 1897-1914, 1979-1988, 1992 - 2002 (PR37/4)
Burials, 1587 - 1952 (PR37/1 and (PR37/5)
Services, 1923 - 2001 (PR37/6)

Other:
Property of the church, 1841 - 1850 (PR37/7)
Enclosure Award, 1816 (PR37/8)
Vestry / Parochial Church Council (PCC), 1805 - 1993 (PR37/9)
National School, 1843 - 1938 (PR37/10)
Sunday School and Societies, 1839 - 1880 (PR37/11)
Churchwardens, 1682 - 1848 (PR37/12)
Parish Constable, 1708 - 1757 and 1825 - 1846 (PR37/13)
Overseers of the Poor and Highways, 1714 - 1855 (PR37/14)
Boundaries, [c. 1900] (PR37/15)
Transcripts and photographs of parish records, 20th cent (PR37/16)

Uncatalogued items:
Faculties, accounts etc. 20th century
Leases 1817 and counterpart lease, 1859
Copy returns of parochial income for Deanery Assessments, 1953-1961
Other (not specified)
Date1587 - 1992
Extent37 items (registers only).
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome registers are available on microfiche or as photocopies only.
Some registers are available to view on Findmypast.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialFor constables' accounts, 1680 - 1690 and 1759 - 1808 see MD6623.

For transcripts and photographs of the constables' accounts, [1680] - 1690, 1759 - 1793 and 1807 - 1808 see PR37/16.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022