RefNoPR45
TitleSheffield, St Cecilia, Parson Cross, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe parish of St Cecilia, Parson Cross was created in 1937 from Christ Church, Pitsmoor, St Mary, Ecclesfield and St Mark, Grenoside to serve the new housing estate of Parson Cross. The parish church (located on Chaucer Close) was completed and consecrated in 1939. The ministry was at first undertaken by members of the Society of the Sacred Mission (the Kelham Fathers). They withdrew in 1955 and a vicar was appointed.

The mission church of St Bernard's was the first building to be opened in the parish in 1937, and was replaced by a brick building in 1954. St Bernard's was located on Southey Hill on the corner of Northlands Road.

The third place of worship, the mission church of Christ the King was built in 1940, and closed in 1970 and the building sold. The churches are in the Ecclesfield Deanery.

St Cecilia's Church closed in 2011 in need of repairs and the congregation moved into the smaller mission church within the parish, St Bernard's, on Southey Hill, which then became known as St Cecilia's and St Bernard's Church.
DescriptionRegisters:
Baptisms, 1939 - 1974 (PR45/1)
Marriages, 1939 - 1976 (PR45/2)
Banns of Marriages, 1953 - 2000 (PR45/3)
Confirmations, 1938 - 1991 (PR45/4)
Services, 1939 - 2010 (PR45/5)

Other records (not listed):

(PR45/25-48):
Combined Church Records (St Cecilia's, St Bernard and Christ the King Churches, Parson Cross), including receipts and payments, church plans, parish reorganisation papers, 1937 - 1969

(Acc. 2013/74):
Minutes of Annual Parochial Church Council and Vestry meetings (signed), 1939 - 1996.
Minutes of Parochial Church Council meetings (signed), May 1963 - Nov 1968 and Apr 1991 - Mar 1995.
Parochial Church Council minutes and miscellaneous accounts, electoral rolls etc., 1979 - 2000.
Newsletters, Aug 1975 - Jan 1980.

Combined Church Records (St Cecilia's, St Bernard and Christ the King Churches, Parson Cross):
Payments analysis book (St Cecilia, St Bernard and Christ the King Churches), 1958 - 1960.
Account book, 1956 - 1961 (St Bernard's Building Fund account, 1956 - 1960; Parson Cross Parochial Church Council number 2 accounts, 1957 - 1960; St Cecilia's Fabric fund, 1959 - 1961; Christ the King Fabric Fund, 1959 - 1961; Heathcote Endowment Fund, 1957 - 1960).
Date1939 - 1976
Extent38 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

For related registers, see:
Christ Church, Pitsmoor, Anglican Parish (PR101)
St Mary, Ecclesfield, Anglican Parish (PR54)
St Mark, Grenoside, Anglican Parish (PR134)
St Bernard, Parson Cross, Anglican Parish (PR168)
Christ the King, Parson Cross, Anglican Parish (PR169)

Parish magazines 1938-1955, photographs of St Cecilia's Church etc. and printed orders of service [20th cent] (MD7473)

Various church faculty files for St Cecilia's Church, Parson Cross are available, 1949 onwards (DIOC/FAC)

Planning application for Sheffield Diocesan Trust, St Cecilia's Church; house and garage off Halifax Road; church hall at Chaucer Close, 1937 - 1939 (CA206/37581)

Planning application for Southey Hill and Northlands Road, Sheffield (St Bernard's Church), 1951 (CA206/43952)

Planning application for St Cecilia Church hall, 1969 (CA206/63621)


Related Material at Sheffield Local Studies Library:

Architect's drawing Newspaper Cuttings Relating to Sheffield (942.74 F p.337)

Article on the work of the Society of the Sacred Mission in the parish, Diocesan Review, April 1956 (283.4274 S, pp.4 - 5)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024