RefNoPR56
TitleSheffield, St Mary, Bramall Lane, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySt Mary's Church on Bramall Lane was consecrated on the 21st July 1830 as a chapel-of-ease to Sheffield Parish Church (Sheffield Cathedral) and was one of Sheffield's "Million Act" churches. It became a separate parish in 1846.

As the population of the area grew, separate parishes were created out of St Mary's: St Simon, Eyre Street (1866), St Barnabas, Highfield (1876) and St Matthias, Summerfield Street (1877).

In the 1870s, there were various day schools opened which were connected with tSt Mary's, including those at Cemetery Road, Hermitage Street, Leadmill Road and Alderson Road (Highfield).

Following air raid damage to their churches in the Sheffield Blitz of 1940, the congregations of St Mary's and St Simon's joined that of St Barnabas. In 1946, St Simon's was formerly united with St Mary's parish. In 1951, following the closure of St Matthias Church, part of that parish was reunited with St Mary's and in 1977 a new parish of Highfield, St Barnabas with St Mary was formed.

St Barnabas became the parish church but baptisms and marriages continued to be solemnized at St Mary's (St Mary's briefly ceased to be used for marriages after June 1978 but was re-licenced for marriages in 1979).

From 1943 - 1955, St Mary's services (including marriages) were held in the converted mission in Leadmill Road. St Mary's Church, remodelled to designs by Stephen Welsh, which turned the west end and upper part of the building into a community centre and meeting rooms, was reopened in 1957.

St Mary Church, Bramall Lane, is situated in the Ecclesall Deanery.
DescriptionBaptisms, 1830 - 1969 (PR56/1)
Marriages, 1848 - 1990 (PR56/2)
Banns, 1949 - 1984 (PR56/3)
Burials, 1830 - 1908 (PR56/4)
Services, 1886 - 1970 (PR56/5)
Confirmations, 1921 - 1963 (PR56/6)
Church Meeting Minutes, 1830 - 1977 (PR56/7)
Financial Records, 1901 - 1955 (PR56/8)
Correspondence and Miscellaneous Papers, 1831 - 1949 (PR56/9)
Sunday School, 1932 - 1957 (PR56/10)
St Mary's Day Schools, 1870 - 1942 (PR56/11)
Illuminated Memorial / Honours' Boards, [early 20th cent] (PR56/12)
Date1830 - 1990
Extent105 items
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, Anglican Parish (PR138)
Sheffield, St Barnabas, Highfield, Anglican Parish (PR69)
Sheffield, St Matthias, Anglican Parish (PR58)
Sheffield, St Simon, Eyre Street, Anglican Parish (PR57)
CustodialHistoryThese items were deposited at Sheffield Archives by the Church in various consignments in Apr 1978, Aug 1979, Aug 1997 and Nov 1999.
AcquisitionSourceThese items were deposited at Sheffield Archives by the Church in various consignments in Apr 1978, Aug 1979, Aug 1997 and Nov 1999
ArchNoteCatalogue updated by Tim Knebel, Feb 2023
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024