RefNoPR84
TitleSheffield, Christ Church, Stannington, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryChrist Church was built in 1830 as a chapelry of Ecclesfield. Stannington was designated as an independent parish in 1843, and the church licensed for marriages in 1858. Before this date marriages of Stannington parishioners were principally solemnised at St. Nicholas, Bradfield, but also at Ecclesfield St. Mary.

The first burial in the churchyard extension took place on the 7th December 1919.

The church is located in the Hallam Deanery.
DescriptionComposite Registers of Baptisms and Burials, 1830 - 1857 (PR84/1)
Registers of Baptisms, 1857 - 1980 (PR84/2)
Registers of Marriages, 1858 - 2012 (PR84/3)
Registers of Burial, 1847 - 1932 (PR84/4)
Registers of Banns of Marriages, 1894 - 1991 (PR84/5)
Registers of Services, 1879 - 1982 (PR84/6)

Other records (not listed):

(Acc. 1983/12)
National/Church Schools (Stannington, Hollow Meadows, Dungworth), School Managers' minute books, 1904 - 1938; transcripts of gravestone inscriptions, 1830 - 1952; Parochial Church Council and vestry minutes, 1941 - 1957; Chapelry District of Stannington Ordnance Survey map, 1905/6

(Acc. 1997/23)
Terrier and inventory, 1972

(Acc. 2022/68)
Book of Condolence opened following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on the 8th September 2022
Date1830 - 2012
Extent32 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

Bradfield St. Nicholas, registers and records, 1559 - 2004 (PR44)
Ecclesfield St. Mary, registers and records, 1558 - 1998 (PR54)
Diocese of Sheffield, faculties from 1914 onwards (which detail changes made to Anglican church buildings) (DIOC/FAC).

Related Material at Sheffield Local Studies Library:

'1830 : A Review of the Year at Home and Abroad to mark the 150th Anniversary of the Consecration of Christ Church, Stannington' (942.74 SSTQ)
CustodialHistoryThese items were deposited with Sheffield Archives in June 1996, February 1997 and February 2007.
ArchNoteCatalogue created by Robin Wiltshire, October 2013. Amended by Ronbin Wiltshire, February 2022.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024