RefNoSY658
TitleSheffield, City Road Cemetery
AdminHistoryA burial board for Sheffield Township was elected in 1862 and proposed to develop a burial ground at Darnall. This was rejected by the Vestry and the scheme lapsed. A new board was elected in 1877 and purchased from the Duke of Norfolk, 50acres of land fronting on Intake Road, (later City Road). Some 7 acres of the cemetery were set aside for Catholic burials.

The cemetery was opened in May 1881.

On 25 March 1900 the powers of the Sheffield Burial Board, together with City Road Cemetery, were taken over by Sheffield City Council. A crematorium was opened within the cemetery in 1905.
DescriptionMicrofilm of burial registers and indexes, 1851 - 1980
Date[1985]
Extent15 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
CustodialHistoryPurchase price £330 (SYCRO697 & 698).

On the abolition of South Yorkshire County Council on 31 March 1986, these records passed from South Yorkshire County Record Office (SYCRO) to the custody of Sheffield Archives. On 1 Apr 2009 the ownership of these items was assigned to Sheffield Archives.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024