RefNoSY690
TitleNeepsend Power Station
AdminHistoryOn 31st Dec 1898 Sheffield Corporation purchased the Sheffield Electric Light and Power Company for £299,000. There already existed at that time a generating station in Sheaf Street and offices in Commercial Street. Land at Neepsend was acquired in 1902, and the first section of Neepsend Power Station (originally known as Old Park Wood Power Station) was opened by Alderman Robert Styring in 1904. By 1914 the Neepsend site had developed to about a third of its capacity, but because of rapid increase in demand occasioned by the the Great War the station had reached its full potential by 1917, at which time land was acquired at Blackburn Meadows.

Neepsend Power Station was extensively enlarged 1908-1913 and again in 1932.

In Sep 1944 work commenced on extensions to Neepsend Power Station, which were completed in 1947, and further extensions took place in 1949. Sheffield Corporation’s connection with the power supply ceased in 1948 upon nationalisation of the electricity industry.

The power station was demolished by 1986.
DescriptionPhotograph albums documenting the life of Neepsend Power Station, Sheffield.
Date1903 - 1938
Extent24 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSee also MD7110
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022