TitleSheffield City Council, Markets Committee: Castle Hill Market, Sheffield
AdminHistoryA charter was granted in 1296 by Edward I to Thomas de Furnival, Lord of the Manor of Sheffield, to hold markets and fairs in Sheffield. For the next 600 years, the markets were owned, operated and developed by the lords of the manor. In 1899 Sheffield Corporation purchased the markets and rights from the Duke of Norfolk, and since that time the markets have remained the property of Sheffield City Council.

In 1928 Sheffield Corporation began work constructing Castle Hill Market. The site was next to the castle site, which had been purchased the year before by the Brightside and Carbrook Co-operative Society. During building excavations the ruins of the Castle were discovered.

Fitzalan Market Hall closed on 24 Apr 1930, and business transferred to Castle Hill Market which opened the following day. The market was officially opened by the Minister of Health, the Right Honourable Arthur Greenwood MP, on Friday 9 May 1930.

Castle Hill Market was designed by W.G. Davies FRIBA, City Architect.
DescriptionArchitect's plans (blueprints) for Castle Hill Market, Sheffield [1920s] (X79/1-2).
Extent2 items
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:
Planning application, Castle Hill and Exchange Street, Sheffield (Sheffield City Council, Markets Committee), 1928 (CA206/31652)

Sheffield City Council, Architects Division - plans: Castle Hill Market proposed extensions, Mar 1956 (CA780/15)

Sheffield City Council: Market Committee Signed and Draft Minutes and Papers, 1902 - 1974 (CA-MAR)

Sheffield Local Studies Library:
Zasada, Krys A., A History of Sheffield Castle and Markets (Sheffield Markets, 1996) (Sheffield Local Studies Library: 728.81 SQ and 728.81 SSTQ; also available at a number of community libraries: 728.820942 Q).

The History of Sheffield Castle and Sheffield Markets (Sheffield Markets, 2005) (Sheffield Local Studies Library: MP 5823 M).

Sheffield Castle and Markets history - chronology (Sheffield Markets, 1996)
(Sheffield Local Studies Library: MP 3389 M).
CustodialHistoryFormerly deposited in Nottinghamshire Archives (T/D 2006/31 Accession 2617) by the Director of Technical Services, Nottingham City Council. Transferred to Sheffield City Archives in 2006.
AcquisitionSourceThese plans were deposited by Nottingham City Council in 2006.
ArchNoteCatalogue prepared by Cheryl Bailey, Jan 2017.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024