CodeDS/UK/3491
Dates1895-1973
Person NameAdams Butchers; 1895-1973
ActivityArthur Adams was born on Gower Street, Pitmoor in 1873. He was apprenticed to Mabsons, butchers of the Shambles, Sheffield. In 1895, he opened his own butcher’s shop at No. 36 Gower Street. He moved the business to premises at No. 2 Gower Street, on the corner of Ellesmere Road in 1904, and at the same time brought property at No. 4 and No. 6 Gower Street.

He married Ethel Jowitt in 1911, and they had two sons together, called David and Herbert. David emigrated to Canada, while Herbert trained to become a butcher at Central Commercial College, Sheffield. The family lived together at No. 4 Gower Street and rented out the property at No. 6 Gower Street. The business prospered in the 1920s, which enabled Arthur Adams to buy a further property on Scott Road, Sheffield.

On the death of Arthur Adams in 1941, the premises at No. 2 Gower Street, was used as a horse meat shop throughout the rest of the Second World War. It was then leased to a neighbouring butcher, Frank Mattock. The business was taken over by Arthur Adam’s son, Herbert Adams, on his being discharged from military service in 1946. The business remained in the family until it closed down in 1973. The property was compulsory purchased in 1980, and demolished on Palm Sunday, April 1982.
Corporate NameAdams Butchers

Show related catalogue records.

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024