CodeDS/UK/3494
Dates1858-1982
Person NameA. Spafford and Company Limited; 1858-1982; Manufacturer of files, machine knives and tools of Sheffield
EpithetManufacturer of files, machine knives and tools of Sheffield
ActivityA. Spafford and Company Limited, also known as Spaffords of Sheffield, manufacturer of files, machine knives and tools, was established in 1858. The company was owned by Abraham Spafford, and to begin with had works at Neepsend Lane, Sheffield, known as the Merchant Works. The firm moved to Imperial Works at Shalesmoor in 1864, and then to premises on Brown Street in 1878 (but kept the name ‘Imperial Works’).

The company took over another firm, Barker and England Limited and its premises, known as Havelock Works on Colver Road in 1932 and subsequently sold the premises on Brown Street. They did however retain the name of Havelock Works for sales made under the name of Barker and England Ltd.

A. Spaffords and Co. Ltd, incorporating Baker and England Ltd, went on to become one of the leading manufacturers of agricultural machine parts, known as ‘Imperial Brand’ products, in the United Kingdom. The firm remained a family business until it was brought by Tyzack Machine Knives Limited in 1982.
Corporate NameA. Spafford and Company Limited

Show related catalogue records.

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024